by Staff Writer 14-04-2020 | 12:32 PM
COLOMBO (News1st): The Chinese Embassy in Colombo on Tuesday said Twitter had apologized for suspending its account, hours after China accused the US social media giant of double standards.
The embassy in a statement said that Twitter had lifted the suspension - which had been in effect for almost a day - after apologizing for a "systematic mistake".
"The Embassy feels regretful to this systematic mistake and would like to reiterate that the freedom of speech must be honoured," Luo Chong, the spokesman for the mission said in the statement.
He added that freedom of speech must be honoured while not being misused to "spread groundless, racial or hatred speech, nor be treated with double standards".
China had accused the social media network of double standards following its suspension early Monday.
“This is double standards. There is so-called freedom of media, but on the other hand, they suspend and lock any account that is not on their agenda,” the spokesman added,” Chong told News1st on Monday.