AG Says Salley Is Mastermind in Easter Attacks

AG Says Suresh Salley Is Mastermind in Easter Attacks; Rajapaksa Trio’s Prison Visit To See Pillayan Revealed

by Zulfick Farzan 20-05-2026 | 7:11 PM

COLOMBO (News 1st); The Attorney General informed the Colombo Fort Magistrate’s Court that former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, Namal Rajapaksa, and Basil Rajapaksa had visited Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan, also known as Pillayan, who was being held at the Batticaloa Prison following the Easter Sunday terror attacks that killed 278 people, and had told him that arrangements would be made to secure his bail within a week of Gotabaya Rajapaksa assuming office.

Appearing on behalf of the Attorney General, Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris presented facts before court on the progress of investigations into the Easter attacks and revealed a number of details related to the crime.

Former State Intelligence Chief Suresh Salley, who is under detention orders in connection with the April 21, 2019 coordinated attacks, was produced before court again today.

The two other suspects currently in remand custody were produced via Zoom.

Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris submitted a 14-page report to court outlining the progress of investigations.

He stated that the prosecution has uncovered evidence suggesting that the third suspect, Suresh Salley, had acted as the mastermind and contractor behind the Easter Sunday attacks.

Three officers of the Criminal Investigation Department, including Director Shani Abeysekara, had traveled to France and recorded statements from Azad Maulana, who had served as the personal secretary to former State Minister Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan, alias Pillayan.

The report submitted in court today also included facts revealed during those statements.

“Regarding the Easter Sunday attacks of April 21, 2019, CID investigators recorded a statement last week in France at the official residence of the Sri Lankan Ambassador from an individual named Azad Maulana, who had made statements to Channel 4. Accordingly, the prosecution has uncovered that the third suspect had acted as the mastermind and contractor of the attack,” said Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris.

Dileepa Peiris further stated that Azad Maulana’s testimony revealed that the third suspect, Suresh Salley, had been planning since 2017 to obtain assistance from Zaharan Hashim and his group for a certain operation.

“Your Honour, in 2017, a clash occurred between two Muslim groups in the Aliyar area. During that incident, Zaharan’s associate Seyni Moulavi was remanded. At that time, Pillayan told him that there were eight individuals ready to die at any moment. The third suspect became aware of this and believed that they could be used for a purpose. Since 2017, there had been plans to utilize this group. Among them were six individuals, including Zaharan Hashim, who later carried out the Easter bombings,” said Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris.

The court also heard details regarding the visit by Mahinda Rajapaksa, Namal Rajapaksa, and Basil Rajapaksa to meet Pillayan at the Batticaloa Prison following the Easter attacks.

“Your Honour, after the Easter attacks, Mahinda Rajapaksa, Basil Rajapaksa, and Namal Rajapaksa visited Pillayan. They told him that within a week of Gotabaya Rajapaksa becoming President, he would be released. They also stated that the third suspect would be brought back to Sri Lanka and be appointed as the head of intelligence. Furthermore, regarding the 2017 Aliyar incident, the third suspect intervened to provide Rs. 250,000 from military intelligence funds for legal fees to secure bail for Seyni Moulavi, an associate of Zaharan. In addition, Pillayan arranged Rs. 50,000 for the expenses of his family. The third suspect, a public official, maintained and protected these individuals until a decisive moment in 2019 for a political objective. Initially, plans had been made to target either a military group in the North or launch an attack in the South. Later, it was decided to carry out the attack on Easter Sunday, a highly sensitive day for Catholic devotees. He is a state officer. Investigators are currently examining on whose contract these actions were carried out by the third suspect,” said Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris.

The Additional Solicitor General emphasized that military intelligence had been involved in maintaining both Pillayan’s group and Zaharan Hashim’s group.

“Your Honour, the third suspect claims he had no links with Pillayan after 2006. However, after the attacks, he hosted a party at a hotel in Ahungalla for Pillayan, his family, and Azad Maulana, this is recorded in the hotel logbook. Military intelligence had maintained both Pillayan’s group and Zaharan’s group using state funds. These are public funds. Furthermore, Pillayan’s group, together with military intelligence of that time, had been involved in abductions and killings, including those of journalist Prageeth Eknaligoda, journalist Lasantha Wickrematunge, journalist Upali Tennakoon, journalist Keith Noyahr, Eastern University Vice Chancellor Ravindranath, Tamil Sivaram, and many others,” said Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris.

The Additional Solicitor General also informed court that he opposes to the third suspect, Suresh Salley, who is currently under detention orders, being produced before court.

“Your Honour, the third suspect is under detention orders. At present, individuals are dying under mysterious circumstances. There is a threat to this suspect’s life as well. Therefore, I object to producing him in open court. There is an organized group outside attempting to prevent this investigation from proceeding beyond this suspect. I also request that when the suspect is granted access to legal counsel, it be done under supervision. Additionally, the suspect has requested to make a statement before you under Section 127 of the Penal Code. However, it is possible that he is doing so to influence Your Honour’s thinking, as he now understands the direction of the investigation,” said Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris.

President’s Counsel Shaveendra Fernando, appearing on behalf of Suresh Salley, stated that the statement given by Azad Maulana, who is currently in France, does not constitute admissible evidence.

“Your Honour, the Additional Solicitor General extensively read out a statement obtained from Azad Maulana, who is in France. A statement obtained from any individual does not amount to evidence. It only becomes evidence after being examined and cross-examined during trial. Azad Maulana is not returning to Sri Lanka as he is subject to an open warrant in connection with allegations of bigamy. Furthermore, the channel to which he gave this statement, Channel 4, is a media institution that lacks credibility. My client seeks to make a statement before Your Honour under Section 127 of the Penal Code. I request that the recording of that statement be commenced today. He intends to make a lengthy statement, and it may not be concluded within a single day, ” said President’s Counsel Shaveendra Fernando, appearing on behalf of Suresh Salley.

Meanwhile, through the report on the progress of investigations, the Additional Solicitor General informed court that Azad Maulana is willing to return to Sri Lanka if a guarantee of his security is provided.

Dileepa Peiris further informed court that Azad Maulana, in his statement, had revealed that under the instructions of Pillayan, records were maintained of all discussions held between Suresh Salley and members of military intelligence and Zaharan Hashim’s group, and that he possesses five notebooks containing such records.

After considering the submissions made, Colombo Fort Magistrate Pasan Amarasena stated that an order on whether the suspect Suresh Salley, currently under detention orders, should be produced in open court on the next hearing date will be delivered on the next court date.

The Magistrate further stated that a decision on whether to permit the recording of a confidential statement before him will also be delivered on that day.

The case was postponed until June 2.