The Ministry of Plantations has decided to provide lands that are deemed safe to occupants living in landslide prone areas located near plantation estates.
Prof. Damitha De Soysa the Secretary of the Ministry said that land had been received after holding discussion with a number of plantation companies.
She added that following instructions to the National Building Research Organisation the lands will be subjected to inspection to determine the safety of the location within next week.
The Secretary to the Ministry further notes that the constructed houses in those location will be presented with the help of the Estate Residents Development Authority and with close coordination of the Urban Development Authority.
Secretary to the Plantations ministry Prof. Damitha De Soysa said that residents whose houses were affected by the Miriyabedde landslide will be granted houses in safe locations as part of the first phase of the programme. She added that the houses will be built for occupants who have built their houses in landslide prone areas.
In the meantime, the search operation at the location where the massive landslide took place in Miriyabedde in Koslanda enters its ninth day. Meanwhile, security forces commander Central, Major General Mano Perera said that the search operation will continue in Miriyabedde on Thursday.
Keeping in mind the harsh weather conditions on Wednesday that hampered search operation, he said that he hopes to see favourable weather conditions on Thursday.
Oct 18, 2017 0
Oct 20, 2017 0
Oct 20, 2017 0