Three persons including the Chairman and Former Chairman of the Wilgamuwa Pradeshiya Sabha have been remanded until March 1 on charges of transporting Marijuana.
The suspects were remanded when they were produced before the Mahiyanganaya Magistrate on Thursday.
The trio were arrested in Girandurukotte last night by the Walana Anti Vice Squad.
When the suspects were produced in court on Thursday, the Defence Counsel informed court that the cab that his clients were travelling in had been in a garage in Ukuwela for repairs.
He claimed that certain persons had planted a stock of rotten Marijuana which was several months old, in the cab at this instance, as an act of political vengeance.
The Defence Counsel said in court on Thursday that the three suspects have in fact been engaged in various social service programmes.
Police arrested the Chairman of the Wilgamuwa Pradeshiya Sabha Jayantha Weerasekera, Former Chairman Ranjith Kumarasinghe and a driver and seized the stash of Marijuana.
The stash of Marijuana which had been inside a cab belonging to the Wilgamuwa Pradeshiya Sabha, weighed 2.835 kilogrammes.
It is learnt that the Chairman and Former Chairman have been arrested on charges of transporting Marijuana in an official vehicle on a prior occasion as well.
On March 1, this year, the duo were arrested near the Nippon Bridge in possession of 275 grammes of Marijuana.
Local politicians faced with a myriad of accusations over the past two years.
1. A Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman arrested in connection with incidents of assault.
2. A Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman arrested on charges of raping an underage girl.
3. Two Pradeshiya Sabha Chairmen arrested on charges of harassment and murder.
4. Two Pradeshiya Sabha Chairmen arrested on charges pertaining to bribery.
5.Chairman of the Tangalle Pradeshiya Sabha accused of murdering a British tourist and raping his girlfriend at a hotel.
6. Member of the Galigamuwa Pradeshiya Sabha arrested on charges of financial fraud.
7.Three suspects including the Chairman of the Wellawaya Pradeshiya Sabha produced before the Wellawaya Magistrate’s Court in connection with obstructing police officers from carrying out their duty.
8. Chairman of the Damana Pradeshiya Sabha arrested on suspicion of assaulting a Management Assistant of the Pradeshiya Sabha.
9. Chairman and Former Chairman of the Wilgamuwa Pradeshiya Sabha, remanded on charges of transporting marijuana.
10. Chairman and Former Chairman of the Wilgamuwa Pradeshiya Sabha, remanded once again today, on charges of transporting Marijuana.
Apr 26, 2016 0
Oct 23, 2017 0
Oct 23, 2017 0